Friday, June 27, 2008

Shenanigans!

Yesterday was a very good day. In fact an EXTREMELY good day. First Stacy and I went out to breakfast with two of our good friends. As we were looking over the menu we noticed something we had never seen before, corned beef hash. Now really, that just sounds disgusting. We tried to envision the kind of person who would actually eat corned beef hash, but no images came to mind.

We laughed for awhile over it, until Stacy came up with a scathingly brilliant idea. Why don't we anonymously order some corned beef hash for someone in the restaurant and have the waitress deliver it! She was just joking but when it came time to pay I asked the waitress if it was possible to order one more thing. "Sure" the waitress said "what can I getcha". "One order of corned beef hash please, and could you deliver it to the table over there." I pointed to the table behind us where a little boy had sat and pulled one of my friends hair for most of the meal. "You want it for that table?" The waitress asked a little confused. "Yes please. Can you do that?" I asked "Sure.. I guess so". We left the restaurant trying very hard not to burst into giggles and even harder not to stare at the table we had sent that unusual dish to. When we got outside however there was an explosion of laughter. "Did you see that waitress' face!" "I would love to see the little boy's face when he eats it!" I think the funniest thing however was when my friend said, "That's what I like most about you Bo, you can order corned beef hash as if it was the most normal thing in the world!"

But this was not the last of this weeks shenanigans. Tonight at work my manager asked me if I could cover the fitting room for 15 minutes while someone went on their break. Well I usually don't mind the fitting room but tonight it was really REALLY boring. So I decided to mix it up a little by using a fake accent. I thought a little while about what one to use. I can do a pretty funny Indian accent but I didn't think I was going to be able to sell it, maybe a pirate but then again I didn't want people to go running from the fitting room in horror, so I decided on a British accent.

My first customer walked in the door and I greeted them with a cherry "Ello!" and proceeded to use my British accent. Now you have to understand when I say "British" it really sounds something more like an Australian who has been living in the hills of Tennessee for the past five years trying to speak with a mouth full of mashed potatoes. But despit how bad it sounded I did it. This customer was perfect for this because she was the kind who wants you to walk around the store and go shopping with them. So almost the entire 15 minutes was spent in active conversation with her. It sounded something like this "Oh that looks absolutely smashing on you. Quite brilliant in fact!" A couple of times she had to ask me to repeat myself! It was so funny! But the best part was that a little while later I got to ring her up, but I DIDN'T use my British accent. She looked at me quizzically for a few minutes but I guess she decided not to ask because she didn't say anything.

So the moral of this post is if you are ever in need of a good laugh, buy someone in a restaurant a strange dish or go somewhere and use a really bad, incredibly overdone accent. It is HILARIOUS and it made my day.

No comments: