Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Isaiah 49:23

Ahhh... Summer is finally beginning to arrive here. School is out and Stacy and I just got back from our first vacation down south (it was FANTASTIC!). Unlike everyone else however I have no plans for the summer, but this isn't because I am being an unmotivated teen, it is because I discovered about two years ago that when I trust God with my summers they usually work out ALOT better (actually when I trust God with anything it works out ALOT better!)

In the summer of 2006 I wanted to go work up at Camp Barakel as a technician VERY badly. All of my friends were going, it was my first year to do it and everyone assured me it was one of the most fun things you could possibly do. So I turned in my application for a week in June and waited and prayed.

I waited and waited and then finally I got the news back that I was on the waiting list. 15th on the waiting list! There was still a chance I could get in right? But as the week got closer I didn't move up on the list. I was devastated. I thought I was going to end up doing nothing all summer long. I would simply sit around twiddling my thumbs. But I trusted God

One Sunday morning my Mom got a call from my Aunt Keke who lives in California, and whom I had never met. My Mother and Aunt had lost contact with each other for several years but my Aunt had finally tracked us down. I was so excited and to make it even better my cousin Kitty was going to fly in and stay with us for an entire week! Can you guess what week it was? That's right the exact same week I was going to be at Barakel. Isn't God cool! I was so upset about missing Camp but I would have been ten times more upset if I had missed meeting my cousin for the first time. We had tons of fun getting to know each other and we even went to Cedar Point.

Again in 2007 I had no plans for my summer, then one night I was at my friend Melinda's house and she got a phone call. It was the supervisor of a Camp that was in desperate need of councilors. Melinda asked me and I thought it would be great fun! I also thought that Mother would never let me go. Why would she let me go to a camp for a whole week that she has never even heard of when she gets nervous when I go out for a walk by myself. But I took my eyes of the giants and trusted in God. My mother amazingly said I could go and I had one of the best weeks of my life. I felt so used by God, like he was fulfilling a specific plan for me by using me to fulfil His plan in others. It was amazing and I will never forget it.

After two great summers I was expecting something amazing this year! Something even BIGGER than before. Several opportunities arouse that I was very excited about but they didn't work out so I guess that's not what God wanted me to do. I was feeling a little depressed about the whole situation a few weeks ago I wanted God to come bounding in like the roaring lion he had before. But then I remembered the passage in Isaiah 49:23 "Then you will know that I am the LORD those who hope in me will not be disappointed"! Isn't that an amazing promise! You see this means that whether God swoops down like He did the last two years or if I am just at home working and going to school, God is faithful and if I trust Him I won't be disappointed! God can use me and take me on wonderful adventures just as easily here as He can anywhere else. It may not always be the adventure that I thought I wanted but it will always be GOOD!

But guess what the best part of this entire post is, that promise in Isaiah 49:23 isn't just for me, its for you too! So put your trust in God, the Great I AM this summer and sit and back and watch, it may be a bumpy ride but you are not going to be disappointed!

No comments: