Sunday, November 8, 2009

Happy Halloween....

So this post is a little late in coming but I thought it was worth it...

So I have finally found a new church that I really like. It is a cute little baptist church about two minutes from here. The people are friendly, and unlike most churches in the area are rather unassuming. They are just a group of people gathered together to praise and honor God, they don't need expensive stage lighting, fancy video announcements, or youth rooms with three large screen TVs complete with wii setup.

The church was going to have a Fall festival on Halloween as an outreach to the community, games, snacks, cotton candy, the whole shebang. They needed some help, so I volunteered a couple of weeks back to work the cotton candy machine.... OK so it was a little selfish of me, I planned on eating almost as much as I was going to be making... YUM!

So Halloween finally arrived. I had spent the day out with my Auntie G getting quilting supplies and we had arrived home about 5 minutes before I needed to leave for the festival. Ryan and Louise had taken the boys over to a friends house so they were out. Auntie G took Molly, her adorable dog (she is a very good dog) out for a walk, so I quickly jumped into my Marie Antoinette costume from last year, minus the wig, and headed out.

We had received a lot of snow that weekend, and Ryan being the good guy that he is, surprised me by digging out, cleaning off and parking my car in the drive way. I walked outside and sat down in the car, turned it on and started backing out of the driveway, when I heard squealing tires and smelled burning rubber. I looked down and saw my parking brake was still on! Suzie is a very good car, but she is also an old car, so things, like the parking brake, don't work very well. I pulled and pushed and grunted and groaned but couldn't get the brake off.

I am getting a little frantic now. I am about 20 minutes late for the festival, and there is no one home to help me. So what do you do in frantic and terrible situations like this? Yep, you call home to Mommy!

So I ran inside and got Louise and Ryan's phone, my cell phone was dead, and talked to Mom. She said not to worry just to call Daddy, but I didn't have Dad's phone number, because it was on my cell phone, which was dead. She said to just hold on and she would call him for me.

So I run back outside while I am waiting to try once again to fix the situation. Picture this if you can.... A girl, wearing an absurd gown, with one foot stuck out the door, holding it open, pieces of her dress falling off, smoking rubber on the driveway, and jerking the emergency break up and down while screaming "RYAN BROKE MY CAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR!". All of the sudden a little boy walks up and says "Give me some candy!" ... I.... sort of... maybe.... lost it.... "BACK OFF!" I yelled..... The little boy stuck his tongue out at me and I hear his Dad, standing on the side walk say, "Ummmm.... I think we should try the next house Sammy..."

Ok so the above paragraph was met with some skepticism from some of my readers.... Oh alright so my Mom and sisters called and said "We don't think you actually said that!" and it's true. I didn't tell the little boy to back off, but I think I must have had it written all over my face because his Dad did call to him to skip to the next house, and anyways it is funnier this way...

Dad calls me back and says he doesn't know how to fix it, that I just need to push harder... Mom calls Auntie G and asks her to come back and drive me to the church, and I walk inside to wait, right when Ryan and Louise get home. Ryan walks in and says... "You look nice... Is everything OK?" "Oh fine... fine... EXCEPT MY CAR IS BROKEN MY DRESS IS COMING APART AND I AM 45 MINUTES LATE!" "ummm... I will fix that..." he says and goes outside. Louise is helping me fix my dress and get calmed down, when Ryan comes back in. He hands me the keys and with a cocky bow says "Your chariot awaits Madame..." I asked him what he did to fix it and he said you just had to pull it harder... you know by being big and strong and manly. I rolled my eyes, then thanked him and sped off.

I made it to the church, but they didn't really need my help anymore, so I ate a whole bunch of cotton candy and watched kids jump in the bounce house. It ended up being a very fun and funny night....

So what have we learned from this? Well Ryan learned not to put my emergency brake on. I learned to make sure your car is ready before you put an 18th century gown on, and the little boy named Sammy learned never to mess with a frantic Marie Antoinette....

No comments: