Friday, May 13, 2011

So here is the thing....

So here is the thing.... next time you find yourself biking downhill, on a dirt road, without a helmet and you hit a GIANT pot hole it isn't a good idea to try and break your fall with your knees.

 I was almost to the end of my 10 mile bike ride when I found myself in this situation. There was a car on my left and a ditch on my right so I couldn't swerve. I was going too fast to brake. I knew I needed my brain if I was going to finish my anatomy class so I decided to plant my feet and hope for the best. I ended up getting my right leg twisted inside of my bike. Not so much fun.

 I laid in the middle of the road for a few seconds, the oncoming car waiting patiently to see if I was alive. I untangled myself and made an assessment. My brain was safe. Thank you God. I could put weight on my knee even though it hurt. Thank you God. My jeans weren't ripped. Thank you God. My ipod didn't break. THANK YOU GOD!

As soon as the car realized I was for the most part in one piece, they zoomed pass. Thanks so much. I called my Dad and he came and picked me up. All in all not too bad. A couple of bruises, a moderate abrasion on the dorsal right arm, distal to the elbow (anatomy class remember!) and I think I might have hyper extended my knee. It is OK. I am going to keep it iced for the next couple of days and maybe get out the trusty crutches (Oh, how I hate them!). I am sure it will all work out.

Anyways don't break your fall with your knees. It hurts. Now you know!

No comments: